The Hypertension Clinic
The Hypertension Clinic at St. Clair Specialty Physicians serves patients in the Metro Detroit area who suffer from high blood pressure. We are designated as a Hypertension Practice Center by the American Society of Hypertension. You can read more about this designation here.
We utilize a teamwork approach to evaluate and manage resistant and complicated hypertension. Our physicians and nurse practitioners work collaboratively with you to discover and treat any secondary causes for your high blood pressure. Our team then provides you with the tools to manage your condition, including quick access to our medical professionals. New patients are encouraged to read our First Time Patients page and our Welcome to Hypertension Clinic resources.
Award-Winning Patient Care
Our hypertension specialists, Dr. Susan Steigerwalt, Dr. Christopher Provenzano, and Dr. Navkiranjot Brar, Dr. Abida Zafar and Dr. Ameer Abdulrazzak are all certified by the American Society of Hypertension. Dr. Susan Steigerwalt has been recognized as one of the area’s top hypertension physicians in Hour Detroit’s “Top Docs” every year since 2006.
What is Hypertension?
Hypertension (or high blood pressure) affects 30% of American adults, and increases the risk of cardiovascular catastrophes such as stroke, heart attack, congestive heart failure and kidney disease.
- Watch this video to learn how to measure blood pressure at home using an automatic monitor. “Mayo Clinic Video: Automatic Blood Pressure Monitors”
- What is a blood pressure reading? Read our informative article: “Blood Pressure – The Complete Scoop for Patients”
- Checking your own blood pressure is a great way to become involved with your care. Download our easy how-to instructions! CLICK HERE (Adobe PDF)
Many Americans suffer from hypertension due to high salt, obesity inducing diets, lack of physical activity, and high sugar diets. Hypertension can be well controlled in 90% of people, decreasing the risk of all of the above complications, and slowing progression of kidney disease. We advocate a low sodium, mostly fresh food diet, regular physical exercise and home blood pressure monitoring as cornerstones in hypertension management. We then tailor medications based on your laboratory testing and personal history.
Online Hypertension Resources
Our physicians recommend the following websites to further your hypertension expertise:
- HeartHub – The American Heart Association’s patient portal for information, tools and resources about cardiovascular disease and stroke.
- Staying Attuned to Blood Pressure – An informative resource from Harvard Women’s Health Watch on hypertension and managing blood pressure.
- DASH Eating Plan – The DASH eating plan contains methods for lowering blood pressure with a healthier diet (Adobe PDF File).
Are you ready to take action?
Be sure to consult a physician before beginning any treatment program. Our hypertension specialists are accepting new patients and look forward to serving your medical needs. Call us at (313) 886-8787 to schedule an appointment.
- Susan Steigerwalt, MD, FACP
- Christopher Provenzano, MD
- Navkiranjot Brar, MD
- Abida Zafar, MD
- Ameer Abdulrazzak
- Gail Makos, MSN, NP-C